Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Why can't people just know?

You know the situation, you are guiding a project and parts have to be completed by other people, you get their work and it just looks like crap.

I know that I can't expect everyone to get it when it comes to marketing but people use some common sense! If you were to step back and look at the thing you just created would you take the next step and fill out that form?

A simple usability test is just close down all browsers, wait a few minutes, open up that page again and pay attention to where you are looking. Pay attention to your gut reaction, is it one of pride?

It’s just so frustrating when tech people have the mindset of a robot and think "this is my task, complete task, on to next task" rinse and repeat. You need specific instructions, fine but for the love of god think outside that little task box and react to things!

Don’t give me the excuse of “well you’re the marketing expert; you have to tell me exactly what to do.” Should I include breathing in the project request? Why not? Since you are following the task list to the dot how can you include something as complicated as inhaling and exhaling in there?

Ugh…I never feel as alone as when I waste time explaining ever single little infinitesimal detail to everyone involved so something incredibly simple can get done.

No comments: